I don’t know about you guys, but pretty much everyone I talk to nowadays is busy as hell, myself included! It’d probably be really good for my health to head on over to the beach and take a few weeks off to bask in the sun, but unfortunately that’s not really an option, at least not for me and, I assume, the 99%. Not all of us can make money by simply existing like Kim Kardashian – damn her and her perfectly shaped badonkadonk.
Now, hustling’s great, and I love that we’re all working so hard to “make it,” but y’all need to think long term. That means, taking care of yourself both mentally and physically. I compiled this list for busy individuals like myself looking to enhance the quality of their lives. A few small changes make all the difference in the world! You don’t need to work out hours on end and eat salad for the rest of your life to stay in shape. Keep reading for quick, easy and painless ways to upgrade your life.
1. Eat breakfast. I mean, the word literally tells you to break [the] fast. Don’t skip this meal even if you’re in a rush because it’s critical for your well-being. It improves your focus tenfold and sets a healthy tone for the day by reducing hunger throughout, which in turn helps with weight management.
I personally enjoy eating hearty breakfasts – think oatmeal loaded with dried fruits, omelettes stuffed with colorful veggies and yogurt parfaits – but if I’m late, I grab a 1915 Bolthouse Farms™protein shake before running out – you can follow them on IG here for inspo. I really like drinking them as meal replacements because they’re filling and delicious. My favorite flavor’s chocolate, but vanilla and coffee taste nomtastic, too. They’re made with pea protein and almond + soy milk (you’re welcome my vegan friends) and each drink contains 12 grams of protein consisting of non-GMO and gluten-free ingredients.
2. Prep your meals. If you want to save time and eat healthily, you need to cook food in advance. Meal prep means different things for different people so get your experiment on to figure out what works best for you. Many plan their entire day (including snacks), but I like to focus on the “big” meals (aka breakfast, lunch & dinner).
Don’t waste precious time standing in front of your fridge figuring out what you’re going to make. Have everything ready to go so you’re not tempted to make unhealthy choices! As a plus (as if you need one), you’ll save moolah because you’re not running out to grab last-minute ingredients at the store every couple of days.
3. Squeeze in quick workouts at least 2-3x a week. It’s so important to stay active, but not everyone has time to go to the gym. If you happen to fall in that category, I recommend purchasing Shaun T’s workout regimen T25. Words can’t express how much I love this series! You get a good mix of cardio and strength training, and you don’t need any heavy duty equipment, just resistance bands or a set of free weights.
If you’re constantly pressed for time, this is the workout for you because, well, 25 minutes is all you need to get in shape. Get the deluxe set here for $145.60! Yes, it’s on the pricier side, but it’s far less expensive than enrolling at a gym, and you get the same results (if not better) in the comfort of your own home. He includes a plan for optimal results, but I don’t really follow it anymore to be honest. I have favorite modules so I do those to get my sweat on. Now, if you’re strapped for cash, no worries! Pinterest’s a freakin’ goldmine. There are thousands of different workout regimens available for your browsing pleasure! Click here to check out my workout board.
4. Sneak in extra bits of physical activity whenever possible. Here are a few ideas to get y’all started: do push-ups while waiting for your dinner to cook, take the stairs instead of hopping on the elevator at work, park your car further back, do jumping jacks during commercial breaks, crank out some calf raises while waiting for the bus, and so on and so forth! You guys get the idea.
5. Make smart choices when eating out. Let’s be real, if you’re a hustler, it’s not always going to be possible to eat at home. Maybe you have a lunch meeting with a client or a dinner party to attend. Regardless, it’s up to YOU to make healthy choices for yourself – eat for the body you want, not the body you have. Always ask for sauce/dressing on the side and go for baked, broiled or steamed items if possible. Most restaurants have “lean” menus (or sections) with healthier options so keep an eye out and hold yourself accountable.
6. Stay hydrated. If you’re thirsty, that means your body’s already dehydrated aka your focus is deteriorating and you’re fatigued. Use a reusable water bottle to save moolah – store bought bottles will do serious damage to your wallet over time. If you’re not a fan of the taste, infuse it with your favorite fruit to make it more appealing. If you have trouble remembering to drink it, try creating a schedule for yourself, ie. a glass when you wake, before breakfast/lunch/dinner, and before bed. This will help you fight the aging process, prevent weight gain, and flush out unwanted toxins.
7. Carry healthy snacks with you. Avoid vending machines like the plague unless you have the self-control necessary to make solid choices. Regardless, purchasing a giant tub of raw and unsalted almonds at Costco for $10 beats buying a tiny pack for $2. Bag snacks while prepping meals to save time! Other delicious options include: unsweetened dried fruits, 1915 protein shakes, raw veggies + hummus, cottage cheese, and roasted chickpeas.
8. Stretch your body regularly throughout the day. Get up and move around for at least 5 minutes every hour or so! Sitting on your butt from 9-5 straight will seriously mess up your health. In fact, ABC News states that, “when you’re sitting, the big muscles in the lower part of the body, are completely unloaded. They’re not doing their job, and that inactivity prompts changes in the body’s metabolism producing a number of biological signals which are linked to cancer.” Now, on top of that, if you’re staring at a computer screen all day, you risk f*cking up your eyes and wrists as well. Take all that into account and fight it by forming healthy habits to combat whatever issue you may experience.
That’s it, folks! I hope y’all found this article helpful. I’m almost done for today, but before I leave you, I have one final perk to offer you guys. 1915 Bolthouse Farms has generously agreed to giveaway a box of their organic beverages. If you’re interested in entering, make sure you do so via rafflecopter below before June 14th. You must be a US resident, age 18+ to enter. Good luck, everyone!
I was selected for this opportunity as a member of Clever Girls and the content and opinions expressed here are all my own.