This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #CentrumFunFlavors #CollectiveBias
Alright everyone, I’m super excited to tackle time management today on SS. As a doctoral student juggling 4 different jobs, efficiency is key to both my productivity and sanity. It’s easy to get overwhelmed at times – and it definitely doesn’t help that I’m an anxious person by nature – so, for my latest, I’m going to spill the beans on how I work smart all day, every day. Big ups to Centrum® MultiGummies® for sponsoring this post.
1. Create a detailed to-do list first thing in the morning. Start by writing down everything you need to accomplish that day, and then number tasks by importance. If you have a BIG goal listed, break it down (step-by-step if you need to) to increase manageability. Tip: Figure out when you’re most alert and tackle tasks accordingly. I always fade around 2-3 PM so I either squeeze my workout in then or do something that requires less brain power. If your mind’s not in the game, move on. Why spend 3 hours working on “x” when you can do it in 1 with a clear head? Yeah, like I said, work smart.
2. Set time restraints for tasks. Keep an alarm on hand and be strict with yourself. It’s tough to let go once you delve deep into a project you’re passionate about, but you have to move on at some point! Plus, a fresh perspective will always do you good. Setting limitations can often up your efficiency tenfold. For example, if you set aside 3 weeks to complete “x,” it’ll probably take you that exact amount of time when, quite honestly, you could’ve finished it in half that time. Take my word, and push yourself!
3. Prep as much as possible the night before. I really can’t stress this enough – this seriously saves me so much time! Every night, I lay out my outfit, pack food (if I have to go in and teach), organize my tote (so I can just grab ‘n go), and prep meals. I like to chop up different veggies (onions + peppers) for quick omelettes – I buy liquid egg whites in bulk – in the morning, while cooking a huge pot of pasta sauce with mushrooms, zucchini, and ground turkey. If I get sick of whole wheat pasta, I nom on black bean burgers.
4. Focus on ONE thing at a time. Multi-tasking may seem great, but it’s actually a really inefficient way to go about doing things. IMHO, it’s mental – you think you’re doing a lot, and you feel busy, but at the end of the day, there’s no (or not enough) substance.
Edward Hallowell, renown psychiatrist & director of the Hallowell Center for Cognitive and Emotional Health, insists that “true multitasking is a myth. We may feel we’re doing two or more things at once, but it’s an illusion. Instead, we’re quickly switching our focus back and forth. The cerebral cortex can pay attention to only one thing at a time. What people really do is shift their attention from one task to the next in rapid succession. That reduces the quality of the work on any one task, because you’re ignoring it for milliseconds at a time.”
5. Give yourself a break. If you’re feeling fatigued, take ten – FYI, if you need ideas on how to stay alert during the day, check out “25 Ways to Stay Alert When You’re Super Tired.” I highly recommend timeboxing (50 minutes of work + 10 minutes of play) unless you’re on a roll. If you feel super focused, just go with the flow until you hit a wall. Remember, long hours don’t mean quality work. Trust me, a clear head will help you get much more accomplished.
6. Maintain a healthy lifestyle. If you want to be on top of your game, you need to take care of yourself. That means getting enough sleep each night, eating healthily, exercising regularly, and taking key supplements.
Centrum® MultiGummies® makes it easy for me to support by health while enjoying my busy lifestyle. These multi-benefit multivitamins include 100% or more of essential nutrients, Vitamins B12, D, and E. B vitamins aid in the metabolism of fats, carbohydrates, and proteins. Antioxidants such as Vitamins C, E and Zinc help support normal immune function.*
Alright folks, that’s it for today! I hope you all found this post helpful. Make sure you guys head on over to Walmart to get yourself a bottle of Centrum® MultiGummies® – don’t forget to click here to browse deals.
*These statements have not been evaluated by the food and drug administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.