Hey guys! I hope you all had a great weekend. I know I was supposed to post 3 times last week, but I ended up skipping Thursday because I needed to step back and take a breath. I’m kind of making up for it though because technically I’m sharing two shoots today featuring the dress of my dreams – they’re from different locations so that’s how I’m justifying it as two =P
Soooo real talk: things have been really crazy so my anxiety’s been through the roof. Back when I was living in NYC, I used to take “me days” to deal with stress, days where I did whatever the hell I wanted. It was snowy and gross last week so I pretty much spent 4 full days in my apartment relaxing (a me week? ha). I slept in and splurged on unhealthy food because that’s what I needed. I’m really good at pushing myself, and if you know me in real life, you know that I’m kind of a hard ass, but hey, sometimes you just gotta let loose. I was overwhelmed, and I knew I needed to deal with my mountain of stress. So I spoiled myself at home – because sometimes it feels good to be a couch potato. Here are five budget-friendly ways I like to unwind…
1. Chinese delivery + Netflix marathon: Pizza works just as well =P I watched season 2 of Jessica Jones and loved it. I swear to god, Marvel can do no wrong in my book…except Iron Fist was blah, but that’s ok. The guy who played Danny Rand was annoying but still kinda hot so s’all good. Order some stupidly delish noms and turn on a new series to satisfy your inner hedonist. Bonus points if you’re wearing sweats while indulging, ha.
2. At-home spa nights to pamper your body and soul: take a long bath (with bath bombs, duh), throw on a fluffy robe, and grab your favorite face mask. I’m a face mask FIEND so I have a bajillion different options at home. I really love sheet masks though – Garnier has some really great ones that are affordable – so I highly recommend them, but go with whatever tickles your fancy. Light a few candles, turn on some soothing music, enjoy a glass of decoy wine (my current fave) and lie back. Afterwards, take your sweet time applying moisturizer (face AND body) and breathe out all the negative juju you’ve been holding in.
3. Bitch as MUCH as you want in a journal: I recently ordered two cute notebooks from amazon, and I’ve been putting them to good use. I use one for my (very many) to-do lists and the other to jot down my frustrations. It’s something I learned from Tim Ferriss, the author of the “The 4-Hour Work Week.” Basically, jot down anything and everything that pisses you off, and then tear it up or delete it to symbolize release. You’ve acknowledged the frustration and dealt with it in an efficient and healthy way. It may sound lame, but I swear it works. You really DO have to let things go though – no dwelling allowed!
4. Play some video games. I am a video game fanatic! For my NY “me days,” I’d hit up Dave & Buster’s with friends for some friendly competition, but nowadays, I just play games on my phone to blow off steam. I talked about Fun Run on here before (on a post I wrote called, “4 Free Games You Need On Your Phone STAT”), but it’s one of the games I play with my boyfriend, lol. I reallllly want to splurge on a console, but I’m legit worried it’s going to ruin my productivity so maybe I’ll get one down the road AFTER I finish my doctoral degree. It can be a present to myself, ha.
5. Edumacate yourself and read. I’m BIG into self-help books. I find them inspiring and extremely helpful! The Power of Habit is hands down, my favorite. Get audible if you prefer listening! I’ve also been watching a ton of impact theory as of late – it’s a youtube channel run by Tom Bilyeu. He interviews some pretty epic people, and it’ll get you pumped the eff up. I know this isn’t nearly as hedonistic as the other options listed above, but it’s a really great way to motivate yourself when you’re in a rut…if you’re in one. Either way, you’ll learn a lot and leave feeling inspired so go check it out. Here are some of my favorite talks to start: “How to Make Yourself Immune to Pain” and “Why Motivation is Garbage.”
Anddd now let’s talk a bit about today’s OOTD! If you’re wondering why I’m laughing hysterically above, it’s because Mel asked me to be “seductive,” and I was failing SO hard. Anywho, I centered my latest look around the dress of my dreams from ASOS – yayzor!
This adorable mini-dress is so me. It’s pretty much everything I like in one item, lol. Polka dot print with a high-low hem? It’s like ASOS looked directly into my soul and designed the dress of my dreams. At $72, it definitely doesn’t come cheap, but I got it anyways because I found it to be extremely versatile. Plus, it’s just really unique and comfortable to wear. It’s made with lightweight tulle so it’s super feminine and beautiful – perfect for spring. If you have any additional questions about the dress, leave a comment or shoot me an email! Sending lots of love from the DMV.
Not the dress of my dreams, but here are other ASOS pieces under $75 that are cool AF…
Photography by the incredibly talented La Belle Mel.