A few weeks ago, I wrote a post called “My Everyday Make-up Essentials,” and since then, I’ve been getting requests via email to share my skincare routine as well. I figured I’d tackle that topic today since I haven’t blogged about beauty in a while. So, you all know me as a “sensible” person. I don’t splurge unless I think it’s necessary or 200% justified.
Skincare is one thing that I don’t mind spending money on. Not everything I use is expensive by any means, but if I find a pricy moisturizer or serum and think it’s completely legit, I’ll buy it in a heartbeat. I don’t go out and get facials though. In fact, I’ve never gotten one in my entire life! And on top of that, I’ve only gotten ONE mani and pedi professionally done, and that’s because someone decided to treat me to it. However, I’m all about treating myself at home (relevant posts: My At-Home Spa Routine & Give Yourself the Perfect Mani: Must-Have Tools), and I’m a stickler when it comes to both my morning and nighttime regimens. Without further ado, let’s tackle the former:
My Morning Skincare Routine:
1. Clinique Pep-Start 2-in-1 Exfoliating Cleanser ($19.50): The first thing I do in the morning is wash my face with this cleanser. I like it because it’s a gentle yet effective exfoliator. It’s perfect for the morning because my face is already clean – the only thing on it is residue from the products I’ve used the night before.
2. Instanatural Vitamin C Facial Toner ($15.17): After washing my face, I spritz on some toner. I like this product because it’s refreshing and easy to use. I don’t have to rub it in or anything – I just spray it on and let it sit before applying my daily moisturizer. TIP: I like to store it in my fridge for a cooling effect!
3. Olay Complete All Day Moisturizer SPF 15 ($8.99): Then, I pat on this sunscreen. I’ve used several different kinds, and while many are good, I’m team Olay because it’s moisturizing, protective, AND available at Costco in bulk. You know me – I’m a sucker for a good deal! This everyday moisturizer gets the job done FOR sure. Garnier also carries a nice one! If you’re looking for something a bit more high-end, try this product from Shiseido.
4. e.l.f. Eye Refresh ($3): The skin around my eyes gets pretty dry so I always make sure to use eye cream or gel to keep the area nicely hydrated. The last thing I want is to get crow’s feet! TIP: do NOT rub product in unless you want to get wrinkles. Use one finger and pat gently – rubbing is a serious no-no.
5. C.O. Bigelow Rose Salve ($7.50): Last but not least, I swipe a bit of this onto my pucker to finish my morning routine off. It does a great job hydrating my lips, and it smells divine which is a huge plus. If you’re going to spend the day out basking in the sun, I recommend using Supergoop’s lip screen since it’s SPF 50.
My Nighttime Skincare Routine:
1. Neutrogena Oil-Free Eye Makeup Remover ($5.99): As you guys can see, my nighttime regimen is WAY more rigorous than my morning one. I start by diligently removing ALL my eye makeup with a tissue. Like I mentioned earlier, this area’s super sensitive so it’s important that you pat and avoid rubbing at all costs. I’ve used a lot of different removers in my lifetime, and nothing works as well as this.
2. e.l.f. Make-up Remover Cleansing Cloths ($3): If I’m wearing any kind of face make-up (ex. foundation, concealer, etc.), I make sure to remove it all pre-wash with these cleansing cloths. I’m a stickler about removing make-up because I don’t want to clog my pores or mess up my skin. And on that note, always, ALWAYS make sure you wash your face. The worst thing you can do to your skin is sleep with a face full of makeup. At least take a second to wipe your face with a cloth!
3. Shiseido SWL Brightening Cleansing Foam ($35): Then, I wash my face with this cleansing foam. It’s definitely on the more expensive side, but a little goes a long way so it’ll last you months! It’s by far my favorite nighttime cleanser because it removes ALL residue with its BAMF lather.
4. Queen Helen’s Mint Julep Mask ($4.49): This is seriously my go-to when I break out or feel super oily. I either use it as a spot treatment or leave it on my entire face for about 15-20 minutes. I can’t recommend this mask enough! It’s been in my arsenal for YEARS now, and it only costs $4.49.
5. When Sheet Masks ($7): Sheet masks are an absolute must in my book – they do WONDERS for my skin so I always have some handy. I like to experiment with different brands at my local TJ Maxx, but if I’m looking to really spoil myself, my go-to is the When Travelmate sheet mask. Simply peel off the cover, put it on your face for 20-30 minutes, and then apply cream on top. Use 1-2x a week for best results!
6. Lancome Tonique Confort ($44): After masking it up, I apply this toner on top to soften my skin. I prefer to use this product at night because it’s much more hydrating than the Instanatural one mentioned above. It’s a bit more expensive, but you’ll feel like a total queen using this because it’s really luxe! TIP: if you live near an outlet mall, check to see if they have a Cosmetics Company factory outlet. I go to Grove City often so I always grab this when I’m low in stock. It’s substantially cheaper so take advantage, especially during blowout sales.
7. Creme de La Mer Moisturizing Cream ($85-465): Now THIS is the epitome of a splurge. I’ve purchased this about 2-3x total; it’s done WONDERS for my skin but serious damage to my wallet. If I buy this, it’s because there was a huge promo going on…or my face needed serious R&R, and I mean SERIOUS. There are a lot of other great creams out there that are far more affordable, but nothing quite stacks up to this. It’s like the freakin’ Lamborghini of face creams. TIP: Sometimes Costco SELLS this for a fraction of the price (!!!!!) It’s still really expensive, but it’s far cheaper than Nordstrom or any other high-end retailer. You gotta keeps your eyes peeled though – they sell out FAST!
8. Olay Regenerist Sculpting Face Cream ($25.99): A really solid face cream that I use frequently. I bounce from product to product because I like trying different things, but this is definitely one of my go-tos. My skin’s fairly dry so my main concern 99% of the time is hydration. This quenches my skin like a boss so if you suffer from the same predicament, give this item a try! Like the aforementioned sunscreen, this is available in a pack of 2 (or was it 3?) at Costco.
9. Amorepacific Moisture Bound Sleeping Recovery Masque ($60): Hands down, the most amazing overnight treatment you’ll ever use. Apply a thin coat – think dime size – over your moisturizer and let it work its magic. Formulated with 5-Hydra Complex (a potent blend of Asian botanicals that deliver mad hydration), this product is lightweight and luxe. I use this about 1-2x a week when my skin feels extra dry.
10. Kiehl’s Midnight Recover Concentrate ($46): Another fabulous item that helps me combat dryness! This replenishing nighttime oil regenerates, restores, and replenishes skin like nobody’s business. The Kiehl’s site tells you to apply 2-3 drops BEFORE moisturizer, but I prefer putting it on after.
My nighttime hydrating routine is as follows: sheet mask or washable mask, toner, cream, and oil or sleeping mask, and in case you’re wondering, I usually use masks 2-3x a week max. Many of these products have been long-time favorites of mine, but I’m always trying new things so keep an eye out for my monthly beauty favorites. You can also binge read my beauty archives if you’re interested!
Also, as important as my beauty regimen is to me, THE most important thing – and I can’t stress this enough – is living a healthy lifestyle. That means no smoking, drinking in moderation, eating healthily, sleeping consistently, and exercising regularly. If you treat your body like crap, you’ll look like crap regardless of what you use on your face. You can slather on bottles of La Mer and it won’t do jack unless you’re being good to yourself. Remember, your body’s your temple! Treat it so and your results will be glorious. To access my posts regarding health and wellness, click here!
Anywho, I hope you guys enjoyed reading about my daily skincare routine. If you have any questions about products or whatnot, don’t hesitate to reach out! And if there’s a topic you’d like me to tackle, let me know. Until next time, friends.