I know a lot of my content has been food related as of late, but what can I say? I’m a professional fatass. All jokes aside, I recently had the pleasure of getting Nina May takeout, and I was high key blown away. My manfriend lives in Shaw so we’ve been talking about checking ’em out for months – don’t ask me why we waited this long.
We got their Chef’s Choice Dinner for Two, and their food was incredible. The menu for this changes daily because they want to highlight the best ingredients available that day. All ingredients are sourced within 150 miles, and dietary restrictions can be accommodated! This set is priced at $70, and you get a ton of food so expect serious bang for your buck. Our meal came with the following 6 dishes:
- Poached fingerling potatoes with smoked whitefish salad, baby pickles, fresh dill, and cured egg yolk
- Carolina gold yellow tomatoes with Virginia ham, crispy okra, pickled jalapeños and shaved red onion
- Maryland red grapes with arugula salad, cumin spiced yogurt, turmeric pickled cipollini onions and toasted pistachios
- Path Valley rabbit rack and bacon wrapped loin with popcorn grits, roasted bell peppers, and nasturtium
- Crispy hot chicken with pickled cabbage, crab pain perdu and lemon thyme jus
- Chocolate chip whoopie pie with toasted almonds and caramel
It took me about an hour to get back home, and noms were still delicious as can be. Crazy backstory though, I literally risked my life to get dinner for us… but no regrets because it was scrumptious, and I’m still alive. Real talk though, that was the day the DMV got a tornado/flood warning.
I spent the day checking out Baker’s Daughter & the Conservatory at Gravitas with @dcfoodporn, and we were having some juice at Union Market after when the weather suddenly went to shit. Justin left immediately, but I waited a half hour or so to grab food from Nina May. I was super nervous because mother nature can be terrifying, but everything worked out though so yay!
Ok, I got distracted, but back to food! For takeout, the presentation of everything was shockingly pretty. My favorite dishes were the tomatoes, hot chicken and arugula salad, but they did a truly fantastic job with each and every course.
This was my first time trying rabbit, and it was surprisingly good! Think of it as a gamier chicken of sorts. I also got a drink, and it came in the cutest cup! I’d honestly get more in the future just to add them to my collection for future food shoots at home.
For those of you looking for new takeout options in DC, I highly, HIGHLY recommend Nina May. they’re located on 1337 11th Street NW and are open for dinner Tuesday through Thursday from 5-10PM, Friday & Saturday from 5-11PM and Sunday from 5-9PM.
FYI, they also do an amazing chef’s choice brunch to go! Enjoy it from 10-3PM on weekends or visit them to treat yourself on their fabulous patio. It’s $45 for two people, and here’s a sample menu so you guys know what you’re in for:
- Cappuccino muffin with coffee cream cheese glaze
- Summer fruit with overnight oats, breakfast spice, oat milk, and candied pistachios
- Perfect cheese and herb omelet with crispy shallots, whipped ricotta cheese and parsley gremolata
- Mixed Maryland potato hash with pork sausage, northern neck bell peppers, and tomato coulis
- Breakfast flatbread with hickory smoked bacon, poached egg, cherry tomatoes, and aged cheddar cheese
Yeah…so I’m probably going to try their brunch next! Curious to hear your thoughts though. What do you think of their to-go sets – would you give ’em a try or nah? If you live in the area, comment with some of your favorite takeout spots in the DMV area. For more on food, make sure you browse this tab, and stay tuned for new content coming your way! Until next time, friends. Happy eating!