Let’s be real, long distance relationships kind of suck. I’ve been in one for a little over a year, and it’s been tough. The bf and I only get to see each other once every 2-3 months so it’s emotionally and mentally trying. I wish I could say I was a pro at managing my LDR, but that’d be total bullshit, ha. I can, however, tell you guys what me and my handsome hapa manfriend do to stay connected on the regular…
- We Fun Run on a daily basis. Ok guys, don’t laugh, but we kind of love this game. So much so that I actually blogged about it in my “4 Free Games You Need on Your Phone Stat” post. We do a round (or 5) almost every night to blow off steam, and things get jokingly heated because we (and by “we,” I mean “I”) get hella competitive. It’s a fun way for us to spend some time together, and the games are short so it’s not super time consuming. Words with Friends is also a really solid option!
- We work skype together. When we’re both home, we video chat while working to stay connected. It’s totally a comfort thing. We usually have a ton of stuff to do so we’re not chatting, but it’s nice to know that the he’s “there,” sharing a digital office space with me. It helps keep us both motivated since we know the other’s focused. It’s kind of like having a gym buddy except we’re working instead of exercising, ha.
- We watch our favorite TV show together while skyping. Yeah, I’m sure you all can tell, but we do a LOT of skyping. How the hell did relationships even work before facetime and video chat? Thank god for technology. Anywho, our favorite used to be Games of Thrones, but now we’re all about This is Us – we got hooked on his last visit here. We basically start the episode together, mute and then talk about it afterwards. If you and your SO aren’t big on TV, do this with a book, movie or [insert alternative interest of choice].
- We do business together. I don’t know if this works for everyone, but it’s been great for us. We started Nomtastic Foods together (find us on instagram, facebook, and our blog) back in January, and we’ve already hit 22k+, which is awesomesauce. He features bay area restaurants, while I focus on places in the DMV. Although we obviously have to do a lot of individual work, we brainstorm together at least 3-4 times a week to bounce ideas off of each other. It’s helped us grow together not only as a couple but also as businesspeople since we both have very different strengths. Try tackling a fun project together online – one where distance won’t get in the way.
- We send each other presents. And when I say “presents,” I don’t mean anything huge. We’re talkin’ cute mugs, sour gummies, handwritten cards and stuffed animals. It’s about the gesture itself! You don’t need to get your SO something ridiculous – it’s the thought that counts. I know, I know. It’s cliche, but whatever, it’s the truth.
Anddd there we go – those are 5 ways me and my bf make things work from opposite sides of the US. Distance is definitely hard, but no pain no gain, right? It’ll all be worth it in the long run so hang tight. And remember to schedule visits ahead of time so you have something to look forward to. That always makes things a lot easier! Also, make sure you discuss your end game so everything’s out in the open and you’re both on the same page – after all, you don’t want to be doing distance forever! What do you guys think of long distance relationships? Have you been in one? If yes, what are some things that helped?